Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Church: must it be physical, or can it be online?

So, I have been struggling lately with the idea of having to be in a physical church. Don't get me wrong, I love my faith. It's more that I am moving further into progressive Christianity, yet live in a fairly fundamental area. A blue dot in a sea of red, so to speak. My wife and I have attended a few different churches, and my wife still finds a home in the one we last attended for some time, but I have some issues with it, theologically and practically. There are a few churches I haven't tried in the area, but I am struggling with this: if I am part of a community online, and have trouble finding a like-minded group in my local area, should I just accept this as my current reality, until a group or opportunity presents itself? Can I accept this as my time in the wilderness?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with this myself. While I long for a dialog and fellowship with like-minded believers- I have yet to find a church that facilitates or fills this longing. This has led me to question whether the problem lies with the church...or with me? I personally have become quite fond of the wilderness- for in that rugged solitude, I most clearly see and experience the glory of Jesus Christ! Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm beginning to understand that I may need to be in the wilderness, and it may not be such a bad thing. I'm glad to know I am not alone in this!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm beginning to understand that I may need to be in the wilderness, and it may not be such a bad thing. I'm glad to know I am not alone in this!

      Delete
  3. I see this is an older post. What did you decide to do? For me, it has helped to learn look at life as seasons, rather than putting pressure on myself to make a specific determination in the moment. I'm still learning, still trying to allow myself to embrace each season and what it will teach me, but be open for a new season to begin when it's time. If this season is a time of reflection in the wilderness and trying to find like-minded people who can support you and challenge you, try not to be too hard on yourself. It took me almost a year away from church entirely, with a lot of studying and reading and praying, to discover a new direction for my faith and find what kind of physical church was the right place for me to learn and serve. I hope you're finding the encouragement you need for this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am finding encouragement, and I have accepted this time as a part of a journey, and not necessarily a bad thing. I am also learning not to be so hard on myself, as I can be my own worst critic at times. I have a few more churches in the area I would like to try, and my wife is now open to trying them as well, so I think things are going well! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete